Free Plain Language Training
PLAIN is dedicated to helping federal agencies train their staff to communicate clearly and develop their own plain language programs.
We offer free, half day plain language and writing for the web training classes for all federal agencies. All of our classes are based on the Federal Plain Language Guidelines and involve interactive writing exercises. For training outside the DC area, you must pay the trainer's expenses. We'll come to your managers as well.
Our Plain Language class focuses on:
- Learning how to identify and write for your audience
- Using plain language techniques in any type of document
- How using plain language can save your agency time and resources
Our Web-centric Classes explore:
- The difference between print and web writing
- Using plain language techniques to create clear and effective web messages
- How to write web content that meets the top tasks of your users
If you want practical experience and examples, pick either our Principals class or our Webwriting class (you don't need both). If you want an overall assessment of a website, pick our Website class.
Our Managers' Briefings run 10-30 minutes and offer either an:
- Overview of the Plain Writing Act of 2010, or
- Assessment of benefits of using plain language
How to Schedule a ClassTo schedule a class, please request a class at least 3 months BEFORE you want to schedule the class and let us know:
- Which federal agency you work for
- Which class(es) you'd prefer
- Which month or specific date you'd like the class(es) - we schedule about 3 months in advance
- How many students will take the class (20 to 35 a session is a good number)
After reviewing your request, we will have a trainer email you to set up the details. Please keep in mind that all of our trainers are volunteers.