PLAIN is dedicated to helping federal agencies train their staff to communicate clearly and develop their own plain language programs. We’ll train your managers as well.
We offer free, half-day training classes for federal agencies. All of our classes are based on the Federal Plain Language Guidelines and involve interactive writing exercises.
Principles of plain language
- Learn how to identify and write for your audience
- Use plain language techniques to create clear and effective writing
- Learn how using plain language can save your agency time and resources
- 10–30 minute overview of the Plain Writing Act of 2010
- Assessment of benefits of using plain language
We schedule classes on a first-come, first-serve basis, depending on trainer availability. We believe that in-person training is the best method and do not offer webinars or virtual classes. Please request training at least 3-6 months in advance.
Let us know:
- Which federal agency you work for
- If this is an official request from your agency
- Where your office is located
- Which class you’re interested in
- Which month or specific date you’d like the classes (we schedule about 3–6 months in advance)
- How many federal employees will attend (we train 20–35 people per session)
After reviewing your request, a training coordinator will email you to set up the details. We will only contact you if you are a federal employee officially requesting training on behalf of your agency or if you have a question about officially requesting training.
All of our trainers are volunteers, and we only offer training for federal agencies. Requesting agencies must pay all trainer expenses, including parking within the DC metro area (if needed) and lodging, travel, and per diem outside the metro area. We can’t always fulfill requests for classes outside the area because only one volunteer trainer is authorized by their home agency to travel.
If you are not a federal employee requesting training for your agency, you can find other training options under Public Resources on our main training page.